Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Toe Rings!

How pretty are these toes?  I have a toe ring that I've worn for years. I remember buying it at the Los Angeles County Fair.  It is silver, a simple half round wire ring.  Not long ago it broke.  Before it broke, it saved my toe from certain death when I dropped something heavy.  My poor toe ring was no longer perfectly round.  I put it on my ring mandrel and pounded it back into shape as best I could.  Maybe I weakened it...all I know is...it broke.   I've been meaning to fix it...but I haven't.  Maybe I'm too old for toe rings?  I don't know...but I kind of miss it.
I wondered if toe rings have any kind of meaning...so I looked it up and found some wonderful information (and this cute picture) on Kelsey's blog.  I have copied from her blog her "Short History of the Toe Ring".

A Short History of the Toe Ring By Kelsey

In the United States, as in most countries, toe rings serve mainly as a fashion accessory for the foot. What most people don’t know however, is that toe rings have a very interesting history. In India, a toe ring is worn on the second toe of the left foot of a Hindu woman to symbolize marriage. This would be similar to the traditional wedding ring in Western culture. Some women in India wear them on just one foot, both feet, or have a set for all five toes. The rings are usually crafted in a hoop form that’s open in the back for easy removal. Men also sometimes wear them to symbolize strength and masculinity. Toe rings are referred to by different names in different cultures; in Hindi a toe ring is called a bichiya (pronounced: bee-chee-ya).

Toe rings were introduced to the United States around 1973 by Marjorie Borell. After returning from India, she started selling and manufacturing them in New York at her own trendy retail outlet called Fiorucci. She eventually sold her designs to other companies and the idea took off. The wearing of toe rings in India is still a commonly practiced custom today, and they remain a sought after fashion accessory in the United States as well.

Thank you Kelsey!  If you wear a toe ring, post a photo on our LMAJ FB page, we'd love to see them!














7 comments:

stacilouise said...

I have a toe ring I wear almost year round, unless it starts to get uncomfortable in winter with socks and boots, but mostly, I keep it on all year. I wear sandals unless there is snow out (or its absolutley freezing) and my 6 yr old just asked me the other day why I wear a ring on my toe. I told him, why not, its cute. lol! thanks for the history of toe rings!!!

Mystic Indigo said...

Oh, I wish I could wear them..but they drive me nuts!! Lovely post, though!

mairedodd said...

i adore toe rings! these are great and thanks for the info - i didn't know all that..

Beadbug said...

I got my first toe ring in Key West and last year I lost it. I missed it terribly so when I was at the Ann Arbor Art Fair I got 2 for my left foot. I didn't realize how attached I was to the little things, I wear them year round.

Artisan Beads Plus said...

What a fun post! I always wondered how that fad got started. Now, I know!!!
MaryAnn

Anonymous said...

Very interesting info. My girls all love toe rings. It's such fun to know where the fad started.

Andrew said...

toe rings are just so beautiful to see, they are just looking so pretty...

face
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...